April 14, 2009 by: Tracy Pattin

Scott Brick talks about audio book narration and the voice over industry

Actor, screenwriter and audiobook narrator, Scott Brick definitely gives new meaning to a hyphenate career with credits in film, television, stage and radio.
In 2000, Brick ventured into narrating audiobooks and quickly found himself embraced by the audio world. To date he’s won over 40 Earphones Awards for his narrating skills, as well as the 2003 Audie Award for DUNE: THE BUTLERIAN JIHAD. After recording some 250 titles in five years, AUDIOFILE MAGAZINE named Brick one of the fastest-rising stars in the audiobook galaxy, and proclaimed him a Golden Voice. But it was the WALL STREET JOURNAL that sealed the moniker with a front-page article in November, 2004. Having now recorded over 400 titles, Brick has no intention of slowing down. He obviously won’t be happy until he’s recorded every book ever published.

Right+Click To Download Podcast (10.9 MB)

Comments

11 Responses to “Voice Registry Podcast-Tracy Pattin Talks To Top Audio Book Narrator, Scott Brick”
  1. Seth says:

I have to admit to a serious man-crush on Scott. His skilz have made me a huge fan of audiobooks.

2. Bob Souer says:

Tracy,

Thank you for this fabulous interview!

Be well,
    Bob

3. Jon Morss says:

Scott is a prime example of how cool the folks in the VO world are. I had the tremendous honor of meeting and talking with Scott when he held his first workshop here in Sacramento at a recording studio that I was helping at. He was very humble and down to earth as you can very well hear in the podcast. The instruction and information that Scott provided to the folks in the workshop was priceless. The only real complaint was that everyone wished they had more time to work with Scott.
    One of the really important items I got from this podcast was that Scott mentions that it took him 10 years to break into Audiobooks. He had done everything right up to that point and worked tirelessly in developing his acting skills, which I hope he speaks about in the future podcasts. This is a great example of how determination and dedication can pay off in a big way. There is a great quote by Thoreau which I think exemplifies Scott’s attitude to the tee.
    “If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” – Henry David Thoreau
    I really can’t think of any better way to describe how Scott has taken on the Audiobook world. There seems to be a common theme with the people I meet and talk to who are just getting into VO, and I have been guilty of this myself, is that they are always in a hurry to get out there and make it big. There are flashes where someone breaks in with little or not effort, but for most it takes time, effort and patience to be successful in VO. Scott shows us that being passionate and dedicated to what you truly believe is your calling in life, and you have the talent to back it up, you will meet success head on.

The other thing I found really important that Scott mentions, which anyone considering getting into VO especially the Audiobook arena should take heed to, is how he approached his first Audiobook gig. Although he mentioned that he thought that it might be his one and only shot at audiobooks, he still approached it as if it were the most important gig he has had. He put his all into the read and performed to the best of his ability. This eventually led to him performing 250 Audiobooks and I think the rest of his success is self evident. Had he approached the first gig as just another gig, I think the audiobook world would have one less truly great Golden Voice, and that would be a shame.

As an example of Scott’s coolness, I had received an email message from his web site stating that he would be at Wondercon in San Francisco, which is a 2 plus hour drive for me. I thought this would be a great opportunity to see Scott face to face again, so my daughter and I drove out to the Con. When I got there and found his booth, he was nowhere to be found. I told the fella working the Booth that I was there to see Scott and he informed that Scott was in LA teaching a class. Now worries, and I was glad that Scott was working with other folks to share his knowledge. Later that evening, I received a personal email from Scott apologizing for him not being there. He did not have to do that, but it shows that Scott is pure class. I highly recommend that anyone considering audiobooks seek out Scott and learn from one of, if not the best in the business. You will not been disappointed.

Thanks Tracy for bringing the best in the VO world closer to everyone who may not have otherwise had access to these great talents and their wisdom. These podcasts are priceless.

Take care,
    Jon Morss

4. Thank you Tracy for this wonderful interview with Scott Brick. Audio Books is the genre I am passionate about and pursuing.

5. Tracy Pattin says:

Thanks for your comments Jon! It’s great to hear about VO talent with “pure class” …those giving people like Scott Brick who take the time to help others.

6. Tracy Pattin says:

Yes Seth indeed. Scott Brick is an amazing talent.

7. Tracy Pattin says:

Thanks Daniel for the great feedback. There will be more podcasts and blogs on audiobooks. In the meantime, there are more episodes of the Scott Brick interview.

8. DC Goode says:

Tracy,
    Thanks very much for your podcasts and blogs.
    Being from LA and now an “Out of towner”, you make it possible to get re-connected with all the terrific people and the biz.
    Scott is nothing but awesome. After just listening to him narrate, I changed my whole approach to narrating for books and the results have been amazing (Shameless Plug…be on the lookout at ITunes and possibly another well known Audiobook publisher for “God’s Debris” by Scott Adams in the weeks ahead).
    Thanks again!
    dc goode

9. I’m the owner of a dubbing studio in Paris France. I appreciate the work you do Mister Scott Brick.

10. Lars says:

Hey, great interview. Always great to Mr. Brick voice.

What are people favorite books by Scott Brick?

I personally fancy most of the Ludlum, Baldacci and Lawson titles read by Scott Brick, but I am struggling finding new titles.

It would seem that I have depleted iTunes of my favorite voice and genres :)

11. Lars says:

Oops, sorry to spam you here, but where can we find the remaining episodes of this interview?
    I can’t find it in your feed anywhere.