Creating the Voice Over Resume- Is There a Right Way and a Wrong Way?

June 11, 2009 by: Tracy Pattin

As voice talent, we promote ourselves mostly through auditions and the ever so important voice over demo. The demo is our calling card, our audio resume. The printed resume is a little less important, however we should have one just in case. As the old saying goes, “Success is when opportunity meets preparedness.”

We’ve been getting a lot of questions about the Voice Over resume like:

1. Is there a right way to do a resume and a wrong way?

2. Is there an industry standard?

3. Are voice-over resumes essential to have (do producers, agents, etc. even look at resumes or is it just an actor’s audio files, demos, recently booked spots, that they care about?)

I researched various resume samples and there does seem to be a style standard; Lots of white space with categories and easy to read. Although one resume had “tape on request.” He might want to change that to be current with technology!

Click below to see some samples:

Resume 1

Resume 2

Resume 3

Voice Talent! Would love to hear your thoughts on this! Please weigh in.

-Tracy Pattin

Comments

17 Responses to “Creating the Voice Over Resume- Is There a Right Way and a Wrong Way?”
  1. Bob Souer says:

Tracy,

I haven’t been asked for a resume since some time in the 90s (and only rarely even back then) so I don’t even both keeping one up-to-date any more.

Be well,
    Bob

2. Bill Pryce says:

I have one but it is very rare that anyone asks to see it. The last time was for a radio drama and the casting folks ran the audition as though it was for on-camera roles.

I don’t know if it was because they were thinking “real actors” have resumes, or if they just remember being taught in college that’s how you run an audition.

In my experience, for voice-over, good demos and auditions are king. Resumes, not so much.

3. Hi Tracy:

I’m somewhere between Bob and your resume examples. I have a voice over resume but its in PDF form in my media center http://www.audioconnell.com/media).

The “why” of it was that I saw a few others had resumes and figured I’d slap one together. The “dumb” of it is I think I’ve forgotten more spots over all these years than I remembered (and oh yes, some were truly forgettable, but that’s another blog post).

After a while the resume writing experience started to feel a bit like a name-dropping exercise so I tried to feature different kinds of work rather than all big stuff because the “sacks of cash” are under a variety of rocks, not just the big ones…and if prospects think you’re too high profile, you could miss out on some really good gigs.

I don’t want people making the decision for me (“Oh Peter wouldn’t want this $3,500 job, he’s too big for it!”) Note to prospects – while I have minimum fees, the only place I’m big “is in mah bel-lee!”

Best always,
    - Peter

4. James Clamp says:

Hi Tracy

I’ve never once been asked for any printed (or on-screen) documents. Every producer, agent, CD, director, person hiring, etc asked for a VO Demo. This is your 1 minute resume and it should be up to date and be a great example of what you are able to do with your voice. If they’re looking for a voice, they want to hear it not read it. Rather, you need to have a selection of VO Demo’s – Commercial, Promo, Audiobook, eLearning, Phone Messaging, etc depending on the job requirements.

Just my thoughts,

James

5. Tracy Pattin says:

Thanks Bob-
    I tend to think that’s the norm. The VO resume seems to be somewhat obsolete.

6. Tracy Pattin says:

Thanks for the comment Bill. Yes, I think you’re right. The demo is the real calling card.

7. Tracy Pattin says:

Thanks for your comments Peter. The VO resume can be tricky and probably not all that useful!
    I agree with your insights.

8. Tracy Pattin says:

Thanks for your comments James. Indeed the demo is the 1 minute resume. I agree, producers want to “hear it, not read it.”

9. BishBomiPhorb says:

Hello everyone :)

I just wanted to illustrate on the contribution of this community here. It’s simply great.

I wanted to give a little something back myself

There is a site that has been exceedingly helpful to myself and some associates of mine. That site is OnlineComputerHelpers.com and they offer online help computer repair

I hope that my aid has been substantial and you also are able to use their services just as I have.

10. I have been looking looking around for this kind of information. Will you post some more in future? I’ll be grateful if you will.

11. suveen says:

well, i m trying to find one else i gonna make one

12. Andi Arndt says:

I appreciate the templates / examples you’ve provided, because believe it or not, I actually need to create one!! I need it for two reasons:

1. A current client (production company) keeps resumes on file to help send you more work, which is always nice

And more importantly

2. An agency that I am very interested in REQUIRES a resume for VO talent applications! So that’s how I found your article.

Thanks again!

13. rebecca ehrenpreis says:

how can i get a resume like that with links posted on the internet? Thank you. Rebecca

14. Dianne says:

My daughter, a 12 year old voice over talent, has been solicited by some agencies. We will be meeting with one tomorrow. They require a resume, the demo AND a head shot! There is no misunderstanding that this is for voice over only but that is still their requirement.

15. Cindy says:

Hi everyone-
    totally new to this industry but definately getting the impression that a demo is the thing needed most (not that i’d have something to put on a resume anyway). my question is How do you make one???????????

16. Prentice Osborne says:

I just got a request for a CV today for the first time. I guess I better whip one up real quick. Lol. Fortunately, all the info is already on my P2P site profiles, so it will be just a matter of formatting. Thanks for the examples to steer me in the right direction.

17. Brian says:

I have had agents ask for a resume while seeking representation.